Sunday, August 07, 2005

Wisdom for the Journey

In a moment's notice we must be ready to leave again. We will be heading out to the Amazon's Camp. Before I make this journey, I decided I must visit the Conference Room.

As I pass through the archway the opens upon this room, I feel the presence again that I felt yesterday. It's a loving, generous, expansive presence. Still, I'm a bit fearful of what may be revealed to me here. I am a life-long seeker of wisdom and have learned that some wisdom brings pain...at first.

I slowly make may way into this sacred place. Out of habits from years gone by, I genuflect before crossing the bridge to the three chairs. I hesitate on the bridge. I feel a pulse coming from the area of the chairs and glowing, warm light. It pulls me in a gentle way. I hear a soft voice in my mind, "It's ok. Do not be afraid. Come sit in the chair to your right. We have a lot to discuss before your journey to the Amazon's Camp."

The pulse gently guides me. I glide as if my feet aren't touching the cold, stone floor and find myself seated in one of the three chairs. I don't know who will sit in the other two chairs, but, at the moment, I don't care. I feel myself immersed in joy and enfolded with love. It's even better than the feeling I have when my bathroom is sparkling with candlelight I am as soaking in lavender-infused water in a bubbling, hot tub. I'm relaxed. I'm a bit heady from a perfume I can't quite identify, thought I know I've experienced it before. I'm in love with lavender. This is 10 times better. This must be the almost drunken state the Sufi's describe in their poetry.

"Welcome. I am proud of you, dear one. You show great courage, strength, and willingness to be guided to whereever your journey takes you. This is a much different you from a few years ago. You have come a long way."

"Thank you. I enjoy the new me much better. Less stuffy. Less judgemental, though I know that's something I still need to keep a watch on. And a whole lot more free to be and share joy and love."

"I sensed fear when you came to this room. With the courage you show, what do you have to fear?"

"I sense that I am speaking to Wisdom itself. Am I right?"

"Yes, dear one."

"In the past, wisdom has come to me as a plank whacked across my head. I know this was necessary because I was asleep at the wheel. I needed a wake-up call. I had gone so far off track, it was very painful finding my way back. I know that I am awake now, but I'm never sure if I might meander a bit off track during a nap. And I'm not quite sure if wisdom can be won without the pain I endured."

I heard a spritely, joyous giggle before the reply. "First, let me assure you. Wisdom does not always bring pain, especially for those who stay awake. You describe your previous state very well. I'm sorry I had to wake you in such an alarming and painful way. But, as you said, it was necessary. If I had let you go farther, it would have been more painful, and likely impossible, for you to wake up at another time. The wakened state is still somewhat new to you, so I can understand your disorientation of not knowing if you have drifted to sleep again. Without a doubt, when you check in with yourself, you are awake. During that check in, you'll discover any times when you fell asleep at the wheel again. The more often you check in with yourself, the less trouble it will be finding your way back to the main road."

"Thank you. That is very helpful. I do check in with myself often. I connect with my inner spirit through words and art and meditation. I have sensed times when it felt more challenging to make the connection, and these are probably the times when I was coming back from having been asleep."

"On this journey you are taking, you are wide awake, dear one. And you have a lot to discover that will bring you great wisdom. I can't promise that some of those discoveries will not cause pain. It'll all depend on how you approach them. Now that you know of this room, you can return to it at any time and talk with me about your discoveries. Please come and share them with me, especially the painful ones. I can help you rub the pain into shining light. If you are not here, physically, in this cave during your discoveries, you can conjure the image of this room in your mind and I will be there for you."

Tears streamed down my cheeks as Wisdom spoke. I was full to overflowing with joy and relief. "Thank you so much. I have even more courage knowing Wisdom is accompanying me on the journey. I know I will have support beyond my walking stick."

Sensing it was time to leave, I knelt and then laid prostrate on the stone floor, which was surprisingly warm. I kissed the warm stone in appreciation of Wisdom, her message, and her companionship. Slowly I made my way from the sacred place.

When I arrived at my room, I knew my mare would be coming for me soon. While I waited, I carved the Asian characters for wisdom at the top of my walking stick to forever remind me of Her presence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home